Teacher of the Week: Ms. Yaminah Jordan
Interview By: Ayana Beaty
How many years have you been teaching ?
- 12 years
Was teaching your first career choice ?
Where did you go to school/college ?
- USC in Columbia
What are some things you hate about teaching ? Why ?
- I hate the grading, because teaching English means that it never ends, and I struggle with figuring out how to balance it so I’m doing stuff at home a lot which I don”t like.
What are some things you love about teaching ? Why ?
- What I love about this job is the kids challenge me constantly, and it forces me to be a better person.
When you were younger did you picture yourself where you are now ?
- No, I never pictured myself as anything.
Do you have kids ? And is it challenging ?
- Yes, 2 amazing boys. Yes.
Are you married ? If so, how do you make it work with you being a teacher ?
- Yes, he makes me turn my teacher off at home. He reminds me I’m not at school.
Were things the same in Conway High when you were a student here ?
- A few things, but not too many. Its feels like a different place, which it should.
What are the things you like about Conway High ?
- I love my kids. The students are the spirit here.
What would you like to see change here ?
- There are a lot of things I would like to see change. The biggest thing I would like to see change is for the school to become more academic, it needs to feel more like school. I want us to do a better job as a whole, from the principal down to the students. I also want us to do a better job of making sure every kid gets what they need to be successful.
Ms. Jordan was chosen as teacher of the week because she has a wonderful personality and she has the ability to make everyone feel right at home at Conway High. Thanks for building a family like atmosphere Ms. Jordan!